Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tough Cookie by Diane Mott Davidson


Synopsis From Dust Jacket:

When Goldy Schulz is offered a temporary stint hosting a cooking show for PBS, she jumps at the chance.  After all, she could use the money-not to mention the great exposure.  Her catering business is in shambles, and publicizing her new venture as a personal chef will help get her back on track.  Plus taping the shows at Colorado's posh Killdeer Ski Resort will be fun.  A little cooking, a little chitchat.  What could go wrong?

Unfourtunately for Goldy, a lot could go wrong.  Horrible snow storms covering the land which makes her driving back and forth between home and work hazardous to her health, and the job isn't quite doing what she needed it to do to begin with.  She's only booked one client for her personal chef buisness, and that her boss at the PBS station.

Add on a murder, attempted murder via car plunging down side of a mountain, and threats against her family and you have a fun little mystery set in the moutains of Colorado.  I don't want to give too much away but I was able to figure this one out about halfway through the book, but the way it's delivered more than makes up for it.  The ending is a hair raising chase full of action and danger.  This is the second book I've read in this series, not in order, and I highly enjoy them.  Goldy is well written and her policeman husband and bratty yet sweet teenage son, help ground her as a character.

One of my favorite things about the Goldy Schulz series are all the great recipes that are included within each book.  This book serves up 10 delisciously sounding dishes that I'm going to have to try out.  As soon as I make the Snowboarder's Pork Tenderloin and the Chocolate Coma Cookies I will let you know how they turn out.

This will qualify for the Thriller & Suspense Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by Carolyn of Book Chick City and the Cozy Mystery Saturday feature that Deb of Bookmagic hosts every week.

11 comments:

Peter S. said...

Oh my goodness, a cookbook slash murder mystery! How could I not have read any novel from this series? Thanks for posting this one. Now I have another book to add to my wishlist.

Beth said...

Love the mysteries with recipes! I'm totally going to have to put this series on my WL! Thanks!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't read any Diane Mott Davidson in awhile...but those covers and the delectable plots! I really need to grab one.

bookmagic said...

I had not heard of this author, now I'm going to have to read this one, sounds wonderful. I love culinary mysteries!

Anonymous said...

That's the best kind of coma to be in - chocolate-induced. You have to let me know how those cookies turn out.

Simcha said...

I also enjoy books that include recipes. The chocolate cookies sounds good. I look forward to hearing how they came out.

bermudaonion said...

I love cozies and I love recipes so this sounds really good! Make the Snowboarder's Pork Tenderloin first!

Staci said...

I have not spent time with Goldie in ages!! I really need to revisit this series as I loved the recipes and the stories!! Fun review!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love books with additions like recipes. I have read a few like that and they are fun.

Looks like a good one Ryan!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

This one's going on my "must read" list, thanks.

Heidenkind said...

My mom is a big fan of this series, too.