Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin


Synopsis From Back Cover:

Two years after his untimely death, Matthew Swift finds himself breathing once again, lying in bed in his London home. 

Except that it's no longer his bed, or his home.  And the last time this sorcerer was seen alive, an unknown assailant had gouged a hold so deep in his chest that his death was irrefutable...despite his body never being found.

He doesn't have long to mull over his ressurrection , though, or the changes that have been wrought upon him.  His only concern now is vengeance.  Vengeance upon his monstrous killer and vengeance upon the one who brought him back.

It's been a few days since I finished this book, I've actually started and finished another plus started on a third, and I'm still not sure what I think of this one.  For the most part I really enjoyed it, I found the premise interesting and enjoyed the action.  What I didn't like was the sometimes frantic writing style, there were times I felt rushed by the author.  The pace of the action and dialogue at times overwhelmed me and I felt completly lost until it slowed down once again.  I almost think it was intentional on the part of the author, to match what the character of Matthew Swift had to be experiencing in his head. 

While I was typing this I remembered the other aspect of the book that took me a while to get used to.  Matthew kept shifting pronouns between "I" and "We" when referring to himself.  I don't want to ruin one of the major plot points by explaining it, but I needed to mention that it was a bit jarring at first.

What I loved about the book was how alive the author made the magic for me.  This was the magic of the city, the magic found in electricity, stop lights, graffiti, and forgotten telephone conversations.  It was the magic of litter, signs, and plumbing. It felt real to me, that if magic exists today it will be found in this form.  It has to be one of the most intersting magic systems I've come across and I want more of it. I don't want to give any of the specifics away but some of the things that can be done with this magic amazed me. For that reason alone, I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

This will qualify under The Typically British Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by Carolyn of Book Chick City.

12 comments:

ninefly said...

I really love how the trailer for this book highlighted the magic of the city too
still trying to get my hands on this book, and while I'm usually picky about writing styles, I'm definitely going to give this a complete read-through =)
thanks for the review!

Ceri said...

I like the sound of this one. Sorcerers and angels - Always a plus for me. :)

Don't you hate it when you really don't know what to make of a book, though? It can be really hard to explain why sometimes. But you pulled it off great, Ry. Really good review. :)

Beth said...

Ooh! Looks so good! Love the cover!

Anonymous said...

The magic does sound fascinating.

Stephanie said...

This is an intriguing review! You're a great writer, Ryan.

IceJewel said...

Sounds like a different kind of a book for me ! Will check this out soon !

bookmagic said...

Sounds good, especially if it stays with you when you are done!

Anonymous said...

I love the cover and the title of this. At least the book's not forgettable, right? Even if can't be summed up neatly.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Another great review! Wow...you're really reading like the dickens lately =O)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I had seen this book around here on the blogs a while back. It looked really interesting. I may even have it on the list to get. Now, I am going to have to look and see. If it's not on the list it will have to be added. Thanks! I have to say I love the look of the cover as well.

Unknown said...

I have just bought this book so I will be intrigues with how I take it. Thanks for the review Ryan :)

文章 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.