Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Encyclopedia Brown


Judging by what I read as a kid, I can pretty much say I was born a mystery fan.  Between Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, my early love of Agatha Christie, and Encylopedia Brown I was hooked at a young age.

Encylopedia Brown was a young boy who lived in the fictional town of Idaville and solved mysteries either on his own or helping his dad who was the local police chief.  The books I read tended to be a series of short mysteries where Encylcopedia would gather the clues and ask the right questions in order to solve the case.  Sometimes he was helped by his friend Sally Kimball who was the one kid in town who was able to stand up to the town bully.

For some reason the one story I still remember to this day involved Chineses fighting kites and how one of them was purposefuly attacked by another.  What really sticks out in my head is how Encyclopedia figured out which of the suspects was lying to him.  When he was interviewing a young girl who claimed she just got out of the shower and was filing her nails, Encyclopedia explained to her that he knew she was lying because someone as fashionable as her would never file her nails after leaving the shower because the nails are too fragile after being wet for so long and they would tear up.

He was a brilliant boy and I thank him for all the memories.

12 comments:

Staci said...

I went through the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books as a kid too. never read an Encyclopedia Brown book...they sound fun and I'm glad that you have such fond memories!!

Anonymous said...

I never got into Encyclopedia Brown. Just skipped right past him when I was a kid, I guess.

Greg Zimmerman said...

I loved these books! I still remember some of the keys to the mysteries, too - like non-blueberry pie stained teeth, and not-hot feet on a car that had supposedly just traveled a long distance.

Kirthi said...

My mom used to try to get me to read this, but I thought it was too nerdy. Reading this, I really think I should go back in time and read this :D
You won an award at my blog, and I posted my own favorite fictional character!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

These were wonderful books. I never really got to reading them but they were wonderful, the few I did read through.

Great Pick this week!

Jenny said...

I loved Encylopedia Brown! We used to watch the show(movie?) too at school.

Anonymous said...

I loved this series and if I recall there were several minute mysteries - really short ones. Those were my favorite!

Simcha said...

I remember reading one of the Encyclopedia Brown books, when I first started reading. I've actually been trying to think of good books to introduce my son to and these might be a good choice. Great post!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Wow! a blast from the past. I also read the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Trixie Blender, Bobbsey Twins & Encyclopedia Brown Mysteries. My kids tended to read the Goosebumps as they were growing up but I still think my choices were great.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I tried to comment on this the other day, but blogger was acting wooky!

I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was about 9/10 years old. I had several of his books. I think I still have them, or at least one. My mom kept all our childrens books from when we were kids (we were very good with our books). My sister's kids read them when they were little and now I have them for my kids! I'm going to have to find the Encyclopedia Browns for my sons. Great pick this week!

Heidenkind said...

I never read Encyclopedia Brown, either! I missed out on so much as a kid.

Speaking of smart kids and mysteries, have you read The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie? I think you might enjoy that one.

Rob said...

OMG..I forgot about this book. I remember reading it as a child long, long ago. Thanks for reminding me! I guess I'm having a 50's moment. It happens.

Aloha from Rob