Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Waldorf and Statler


For some reason I'm in an oddly nostalgic mood right now so when I started thinking of characters to use for this weeks post, my mind wandered to The Muppet Show.  Now there were a lot of great characters on the show; Ms. Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Beaker, Gonzo, and Animal to name just a few.  My favorite characters though were Waldorf and Statler, those two cranky old guys who never missed a chance to heckle and jeer as much as they wanted to.

They brought a sense of lightness and fun to the show that I loved so much.  I always imagined, and still do, that I'm going to be one of those old guys who are so cantankerous that you can't help but love them no matter what they do.  I'll be the one sitting in the park, tripping people with my cane and sneering at them when they sit next to me on the park bench.  I may even chase the neighbor kids off my yard when they come over to pick up their ball they threw over the fence.  If I do become that old guy, I owe it all to Waldorf and Statler who did it with style.

They were so good with the one liners and could send out a quip in the blink of an eye. I admired the skill as a kid to be able to think on your feet and the ability to get away with it everyday.  Here is a youtube video with quite a few examples of their greatness.

11 comments:

robsad79 said...

Love these guys. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Muppets - all of them! I'm carrying my Kermit purse right now.

Staci said...

Your pick was perfect this week. Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. My family would watch the Muppet Show together and we all loved these two!!

Simcha said...

My husband keeps trying to make me watch the Muppets, though I have to admit I've never really given them a try. For some reason they were not a part of my childhood, though I did briefly watch the Muppet babies cartoon, with the headless babysitter (does that count?)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

LOL!!! I remember watching the muppets all the time and I just loved this pair. I actually loved them more with the older I got. I think these two where the comedy relief for the parents to watch the muppets. Their humor and sarcasm was always right on and great. :) Great pick!

Heidenkind said...

My favorite muppet is Grover.

Ceri said...

Ohhh, *that*'s their names. I went to a pub quiz a week or two ago and one of the questions was to name these guys. We could only remember them as 'Marley and Marley' from Muppets Christmas Carol! hahaha. We fail. :P

Alexia561 said...

Loved those guys, but never knew their names. Great pick!

Beth said...

The Muppets never did much for me. I did like the pigs in space. It was pigs, right? :)

These guys were cool too! Thanks for the reminder!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

LOL - I love these guys!

Cecelia said...

Oh gosh - these characters are the best! Always good for a couple of well-placed laughs. They, Gonzo, and the Swedish chef are priceless...