Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Poppin' Fresh


There are so many commercial mascots out there, that narrowing it down this last month was a pretty hard thing to do.  For this last post, I tossed a few around in my head; Snuggle, Ernest J. Keebler, Count Chocula, Mr. Owl, Chester Cheetah, and Dig'em Frog, were all vying for my attention.  I decided on the cutest one of them all, though Snuggle may disagree with that, Poppin' Fresh.  Better known as the Pillsbury Doughboy, Poppin' Fresh is a pop culture staple.


Since I was a kid, Poppin' Fresh has been appearing on my television screen, convincing me that the products he was peddling, were they flakiest, tastiest things around.  I can't look at a crescent roll, biscuit, cinnamon roll, or cookie, without thinking of him.  It doesn't even have to be one of his. If I see a baked good, I hear his giggle  

He's such an adorably cheerful sort of guy, that you can't help but find him cute.  Even if most commercials annoy you, I dare you to sit through one of his, and not smile.  Actually, I double dog dare you.  I can't do it, you can't do it, I bet even Genghis Khan would have cracked a smile or two.  For a little guy who is selling something as filling as baked goods, he has a effervescent lightness to him.  He's bubbly, giggly, and just plain cuddly.

What I find to be the most amazing, is how he can handle random people coming up and poking him in the belly.  Something tells me it's not a sexual thing, he's too innocent for all of that.  I'm just going to assume that he is a true example of the rarest of commodities, a genuinely nice guy.  I have to admire anyone with that much patience

I would keep rambling on about how wonderful, sweet, lively, precious, and scrumptious Poppin' Fresh is, but I think I'm getting hungry for a biscuit.  Or do I want a cookie?

1 comment:

Cecelia said...

You're right - I always smile when I see him, even though I don't mean to!