Friday, December 10, 2010

Secrets of a Christmas Box by Steven Hornby


Synopsis From Dust Jacket:

Enter the magical festive world of the Christmas 'Tree-Dwellers', as Larry, a Christmas snowman, wakes up after a long sleep in the Christmas box, to find his brother missing.

Desperate to find him before Christmas, Larry, along with his girlfriend Debbie, a newcomer Splint, and Larry's companion Tinsel, break the laws of the 'Tree-Elders' and escape down the tree and away into the house, to look for clues.

Away from the safety of the tree and in an unfamiliar world, the Dwellers stumble upon a dark and sinister secret that threatens their entire world.  Can Larry and the group make it back to the tree in time to warn the others, and finally uncover the truth behind the 'Secrets of a Christmas Box'?

I'm going to be up front with you and tell you in no uncertain terms that their is no way for me to get across how much I loved this book.  I haven't raved about a book in a while and I'm so glad I get to know.  As a life long Christmas lover who has always had a rather overactive imagination to find a book that lets me revel in one of my oldest Christmas fantasies is a treat.  As a kid I would sit by the Christmas tree making up stories and names to go along with the ornaments that hung upon it's branches.  I always imagined them coming to life and talking amongst themselves when nobody was around.  To be able to read a wonderfully written book that explores that, sent me back to my childhood.

When Larry and his friends set out upon their journey, little did they know they had a fourth companion.  I was right there, with them the whole time.  I got lost in this story and I could feel the pain and the fright as circumstances seemed to be getting out of their control and they were faced with making decisions that may not allow them to get back home.  What made the journey special for me was how "real" all of these characters seemed.  The author did a wonderful job of "humanizing" them, making them seem like they could be any of us.  It made them more likable to me and I wanted them to succeed in their quest.

I'm not going to get into a lot of the plot points because I don't want to ruin anything for you.  What I will tell you is this, if you are in the mood for a good Christmas mystery inhabited by an unusual cast of characters, this book is for you.  I was expecting a lighter story but instead I was treated to a thrilling mystery that made me wish more than anything that my Christmas ornaments would come to life.

By the way I am looking at my own ornaments a little bit more carefully.  If I notice anything odd, I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter absolutely loved this last year. She even asked this year is there was a sequel out.

Zia said...

I read this one last year and enjoyed it as well =)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Ooh I really like the sound of this and am glad to hear that someone else made up stories about their christmas decorations - truth be told I still do. Ideal for next years challenge, I'm away to add it to my wish list.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Never heard of this or any story line quite like it. I'm adding it to my Christmas Reads List. Thanks for drawing my attention to it!!