Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Willow Ufgood


When it comes to big heroes in small packages I will take Willow Ufgood over Frodo Baggins every time.  For those of you who don't know who he is, shame on you, but that's what this post will be all about. 

Willow a Nelwyn farmer, husband, and father who has dreams of being a great sorcerer.  The only problem for him, is that he's scared.  He's scared to fail and that fear keeps him from achieving his dreams and puts him in danger of losing his family farm.  So what is a scared Nelwyn to do when his children find a Daikini (human) baby one the the river bank?  His first reaction is to push the baby back in and let her float down the river to cause someone else problems.  However fate, and his wife, step in and changes the course of his life forever.

That little baby is actually Elora Danan, the girl of the prophecy who is destined to defeat the evil Queen Bavmorda and when Bavmorda's forces arrive in the village looking for the baby, Willow is forced to flee the village and give Elora to the first adult Daikini he sees.  Lucky for him that Daikini is Madmartigan, who agrees to take the baby in exchange for letting him out of a cage.  Not so lucky for him, two brownies steal the baby from Madmartigan which forces Willow to hunt for the baby once again. 

His journey to protect Elora Danan is one filled with wonder and new friends who help him along his way.  But more than that, his journey is one of self discovery and coming into his own.  By facing his fears head on, Willow is able to save the day, but more importantly he finds the courage to be himself and go for his dreams.  When he returns to his village, he comes as a new man.  A man who is able to hold his head up high, provide for his family, and not be scared of failure ever again.

10 comments:

Carol said...

Another one I'm not familiar with. Sounds like a movie I would enjoy though.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Ah, Willow. I can watch this film time and time again :)

Staci said...

I'm dumb...is this the movie Willow? I've never watched it, but he does sound like an interesting character.

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

I love Willow!!! One of my favorite movies and he is such a GREAT character

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I love this movie and I love Willow. Such a great character. I actually love the actor (except for his stint as Leprechaun...ugh). I believe he plays Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter movies.

I also love the movie Willow because Val Kilmer is in it...he was so dreamy back in the day! He still is one of my favorite actors. =O)

Heidenkind said...

What?!? What about Mad Mordigan?

J.T. Oldfield said...

I am also dumb...what's the title?

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Willow!! I remember this! Oh, it has been a long time since I have seen it. I am going to have to look for it again. Thanks! Great pick!

Trev said...

Wow I haven't thought about this movie in years! I once made a house out of blankets around a tree and pretended to be willow! I need to watch this movie again!

Ceri said...

Willow <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Whenever my parents used to drop us off at our grandparents house as kids this would be one of the films we watched religiously.

A few years ago I spotted the DVD for £3 in the shops and grabbed it immediately. I love Warwick Davis - I recently bought his book - and I absolutely love this film. :D