Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie


Synopsis From Back Cover:

M-U-R-D-E-R. It began as an innocent parlor game intended to while away the hours on a bitter winter night.But the message that appeared before the amateur occultists at the snowbound Sittaford House was spelled out as loud and clear as a scream. Of course, the notion that they had foretold doom was pure bunk. Wasn't it? And the discovery of a corpse was pure coincidence. Wasn't it? If they're to discover the answer to this baffling murder, perhaps they should play again. But a journey into the spirit world could prove terribly dangerous-especially when the killer is lurking in this one.

This was what I needed to get out of my reading slump, a well written Agatha Christie mystery.  She never totally disappoints and I'm mentally better off after I read one of her novels, even if I wouldn't put it on my favorites list.  Thankfully this one is in the running for my top 10 list of her books.

The book starts off with a party held in a stately manor in the middle of nowhere.  There is several feet of snow covering the ground and more is one it's way.  The strange mixture of party goers decide to play at table turning and when the murder of the man who owns the house is announced, the story is off to a roaring start.

I won't go into the plot too much but once again Agatha has come up with another brilliant heroine in Emily Trefusis, the fiance of the man being held for the murder.  With the help of Charles Enderby, a newspaper reporter, she sets out on quest to prove that her beloved is not the cold blooded murderer.  Emily is a force of nature who gets what she wants, when she wants it.  She follows in the tradition of headstrong, caring heroines that Agatha is brilliant at writing.  Through sheer willpower and a keen mind, Emily solves the case, and a few other mysteries along the way.

This will qualify for the Thriller & Suspense Reading Challenge 2010 and the Typically British Reading Challenge 2010 both of which are hosted by Carolyn of Book Chick City.

9 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

You amaze me how you find more Agatha Christie books Ryan! :) When (when) I finally break down and read one of her books - I fully blame you. (And thank you because I have always wanted to!)

Stephanie said...

This sounds like it has a thoroughly Gothic feel with the mansion and the Ouija board. Sounds like something I'd like! After re-watching The Others last week, I realized I still have a taste for Gothic. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this one but Agatha Christie is one of those authors whose books I get immersed in quickly. She's always a good read.

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

I really liked this one too. Emily is definitely the perfect heroine :) I only wish Agatha Christie had written more books with young heroine's!

joemmama said...

I need to add this to my ever expanding list!
I have an award for you!
http://joemmama.blogspot.com/

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

You are so kicking a** on the AC books! Great review.

You are a fast reader. I mean you work a hell of a lot more than I do and, yes, we both have kids, but you probably finish books in a fraction of the time that I do. I'm impressed!

Speaking of jobs, you know I had to quit Hallmark because of being sick. Well, I got a job. It's a writing job...from home! Can you believe it?! I'm not sure how much I will make, but I'm sure going to bust my butt...when I get back from vacation...LOL! =O)

Anonymous said...

You always make me want to head out to the library and pick up a few of Christie's mysteries. I could just dig for them in my boxes downstairs, but the library sounds easier.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I am glad to hear this helped you get out of your reading rut. I know you where reading some books there for a while which you where just not thrilled with. So, I am glad to hear this has helped with that. Agatha always seems to do you some good. :) Great review!

Kerrie said...

Ryan I hope you are also going to submit this to this month's Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Blog Carnival