Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Erica Kane

Maybe it's the fact that the book I just reviewed took place in the wonderfully campy world of soap operas, but when I sat down to do my FFC post this week my mind went directly to the wonderful Erica Kane.

For those of you not familiar with Erica, she is the grand diva of All My Children, which happens to be my favorite soap opera, one that I've been addicted to since I was a kid and my mom would make me watch it with her when I was home sick from school.  She is played by Susan Lucci, who happens to be a fabulous actress that brings to life one of the funnest characters ever created.

Erica has done it all; modeling, acting, TV hosting, Magazine Publishing, Cosmetics mogul, and has been married more times than Elizabeth Taylor.  She is fiercing protective of her family and will do anything, including posing as a nun to get what she wants.  She's not above being dirty and underhanded to reach her goals, but even then her heart is in the right place and it all makes great television.

7 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Looks like we both were a little late with our FFC posts this week! At least I did one this week, right?!

I have always loved Erica Kane (and Susan Lucci). Even though I no longer watch soaps, I still think that she is one of the best soap characters ever. Back when I was still watching, I remember being so outraged that Lucci had never won an EMMY for her portrayal of Erica. Thanks goodness she finally won, although it was long overdue! Great post this week! Mine is up, if you want to check it out.

We missed you at TuesBookTalk last night =O)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love Erica Kane, too, even though All My Children is not one of my regular soaps. But sometimes I watch it at night on SoapNet. I'm going to have to start following this one, since two of my favorite CBS soaps have gone to their deaths (Guiding Light, and As the World Turns in Sept.).

What's up with that? The world is a strange place these days...favorite bars and restaurants closing, my favorite clutter store is now gone...alas!

The economy is hitting hard. They could leave our TV shows alone, but I know that there's a direct connection there...economy-closing things down.

Sorry...ranting here!

Beth said...

You know, I never did watch her. Of course, I didn't watch soaps, but still. Thanks for the post!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

This is an amazing character! I have not watched soap operas in years as I have been working daylight for so long. But when I was this woman was just amazing at what she does. I felt so bad for her as she was nominated for the awards for years and was always just short of winning it. She should have had the award long before she was even nominated for it.

This is a wonderful pick this week!

Emily said...

I also grew up watching the diva of All My Children - Ms Erica Kane!

I think she has moved but growing up, Susan Lucci lived not to far from me and I would sometimes see her around town :)

Anonymous said...

I never watched All My Children. I was more of a Guiding Light, Young and the Restless girl.

Heidenkind said...

I used to watch AMC with my grandma every day when I was little (before I started going to school), and I still remember all the characters. Especially Erica Kane! :)