Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Favorite Fictional Character --- Quick Draw McGraw


If you haven't been able to figure out by now, I'm a huge cartoon fan.  Actually, I should probably restate that in a way, that makes me sound like I have good taste. Here it goes.  If you haven't been able to figure out by now, I'm a huge fan of cartoons from the 1980s, and earlier.  I'm sure, if you are around my age, or older, the know the reason I had to qualify my statement.  And it's a simple point.  Once you get past the very early years of the 1990s, cartoons sucked.  The quality of the animation seemed to go down hill, get horrifically sloppy.  I've tried to watch recent cartoons, and except for a few like Dora, they are not only pathetically animated, but horribly written as well.  They have devolved to the basest humor, and if that's what's on offer now, I'm glad Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past.  And as much as I love the cartoons of the 1980s, the cartoons my mom, and myself, grew up watching are some of my favorites.


Take this guy for example, if you don't know who he is, this is Quick Draw McGraw.  He is probably the most entertaining sheriff the Old West ever had.  Was Quick Draw the sharpest knife if the drawer, not even close, and I think he would be okay with that description of himself.  But Quick Draw had heart, he had bravery to spare, and he always strove to do the honorable thing.  It is true, he had to be bailed out, more than once, by his deputy, Baba Looey, and occasionally the bloodhound Snuffles, but he did save the day, occasionally, all by his lonesome. 

Just to put this out there, I could have done without his masked alter ego, El KaBong.  He really should have left the masked vigilantism to Zorro, who used his sword, way better than El KaBong could ever have used his guitar.  I'm not even sure how he was able to find the time to go on his incognito adventures.  I would think being sheriff would take up a lot of his time, but what do I know.

I can tell you what I do know though.  I would take Quick Draw McGraw, in any incarnation, over the drivel kids are watching today.  Whether his madcap adventures made sense or not, they were entertaining.  Not only that, as crazy as the story lines could get at time, they at least had a story to tell.  


3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I didn't think you were old enough to remember Quick Draw McGraw!

Debbie Rodgers said...

s'all right, Queek Straw! I loved Quick Draw McGraw too - and have been thinking about him recently.

My brother and I had a Quick Draw McGraw Golden Book in which QD, in his lovable clumsy style, was always stepping on Baba Looey's toe. As the adventure wraps up and the villains are conquered, the book ends with "Ouch," cried Baba Looey, "you're stepping on my toe again!" I've been longing for someone to understand what I mean when I say that, because it repeats in my head.

"Ouch," cried Baba Looey, "you're stepping on my toe again!"

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

They used to play a lot of the old cartoons but I haven't seen them lately. Need to bring them back. I liked his sidekick better. ;)