Saturday, January 15, 2011

Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen


Synopsis:

In this third installment of the adventures of Lady Georgiana, Georgie, she finds herself in quite a pickle.  With the Summer being horrid to deal with in London, her house cleaning business has taken a turn for the worst with her clients out in the country.  Thinking she would hire herself out as a dinner companion, Georgie finds herself the subject of a "prostitution" scandal when her first and only client assumes the worst.

To avoid publicity, she is shipped back home to Scotland and set on the trail of someone who seems to be trying to kill the Prince of Wales.  Throw in the oh so common Mrs. Simpson and this is one stay in the country that may be her last.

All I can say anymore, is that I love this series.  Part of my brain is telling me not too, that the mystery isn't complicated enough.  It's telling me that I need more of a challenge in my reading.  The rest of my brain though can't get enough.  There is something that absolutely charms me about Georgie, even when she is being horribly naive.  She is such a fresh breath of air in the mystery world and I'm infatuated with her.

She never really seems to look for trouble, it just finds her.  This installment has plenty of it for her to deal with.  She almost dies mountain climbing, finds herself in a terrible jam in a airplane, and that's not talking about the falling commode that takes out someone else.  As silly as all of that sounds, it's completely believable in the world that Georgie inhabits.

The regular cast of supporting characters is here as well.  Her brother Binky and his penny pinching wife (though she is almost likable in this one), her best friend the clothing designer, her common grandfather, her gold digging actress of a mother, and the Queen herself appears every now and then.  What I really like is that while the Prince of Wales and Mrs. Simpson have been in all three books, we are really getting to see more of them and I must say, I really don't like Mrs. Simpson.  I can't see what the Prince saw in her.  Georgie's relationship with Darcy is starting to pick up and by the end of the book, I had hope for them.

Overall, this is a great cozy mystery with lots of engaging characters, danger, intrigue, fun packaged into a light mystery that everyone should be able to enjoy.

Challenges:  A-Z, M&S

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Not all of our reading has to be challenging! This sounds like a great comfort read.

Staci said...

I'm so in love with that cover!! It's an added bonus that you love this series so much...I think I may have to read book one and meet Georgie, she sounds like a great character!

Marg said...

I want to read this series, but my library doesn't have them! One day.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I have never read these either but I have always been mesmerized with the covers.