Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Judge Harry T Stone


To continue on with my journey through 1980s sitcoms, I though I would briefly talk about one of the funniest characters I had ever seen.  I of course am talking about Judge Harry T. Stone of "Night Court"


Judge Harold "Harry" T Stone presided over the night shift in a Manhattan courtroom.  Along with a group of other, equally funny characters, Judge Stone presided over what ended up being a enjoyable chaotic mess of petty criminals and over the top cases.

Harry Stone was a young, fun loving Judge who would never allow the tone of his courtroom to get too serious.  He was always there with a joke or a magic trick, since he was an amateur magician.  At the same time he acted as the moral compass of the show and never let a real crime go unpunished.  He would actually at times be quite serious and almost take on a lecturing tone with certain defendants.

What I really appreciated about him, other than his moral funniness was his love for the 40s.   He not only loved he movies but the clothing as well.  Both of which I can completely relate to.  His Mel Torme fascination though, that I'm not so sure about.  With or without his questionable taste in music, Judge Stone was a fun loving character that always did the right thing but was still able to enjoy himself.

5 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

You would make my husband proud. He loved this show.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I forgot about this show! How funny and a great pick!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved that show!

Unknown said...

I used to love Night Court as a kid. Heck, I'd probably still watch the reruns.

Harry was good. Dan was better. :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh MY GOD!!!! I've completely forgot about this show. He was a great judge! :) Thank you for the memories. :) I remember enjoying the humor and the characters. :)