Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Benson DuBois


I'm going to finish this month's theme of 1980s sitcom characters with the title character of the first TV show I remember watching that took place in a political setting.  Benson DuBois as played by Robert Guillaume was one of the funniest characters from the 80s, and I don't think he is as remembered as often as he deserves.


I've always had a fondness for wisecracking, sarcastic characters and Benson ranks up there as one of the best.  He always has a witty comeback and is never shy to express exactly what he's thinking about anyone or anything.  Throughout the series Benson rises from the head of household affairs for the governor's mansion, to state budget director, Lieutenant Governor, to running for Governor himself. 

What I liked most about him though was that behind the rather gruff exterior, he was a good hearted man who only wanted to what was right for those that counted on him.  For a refresher, I watched the "Big Buddy" episode and I was reminded of who Benson was as a human being.  He is a man who uses his sarcasm and wit to display his emotions towards those he cares about.  He has a big heart and will do anything he can to make things right.

5 comments:

Kaye said...

He could deliver those zingers with such a deadpan expression. I used to like his character too. Good choice, Ryan!

bermudaonion said...

Robert Guillaume was perfect in the role of Benson.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember this one at all. We must not have watched it.

Yvette said...

If I'm remembering correctly, BENSON was a spin-off from a Billy Crystal series whose name I've forgotten. But anyway, I loved BENSON. It was a great series.

Yvette said...

I think the Billy Crystal series was called SOAP. Benson was the butler of the rich couple on the show. I don't know if any of you guys remember this. It was, in its day, a ground breaker because Billy Crystal played the first openly gay tv character. It was a hilarious show with a great cast.