Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge


I guess this year is going to be the year of the Mystery for me.  I keep seeing these great mystery challenges and I feel compelled to sign up for them.  Something tells me this one, 2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge, is going to be a lot of fun for me.  It's being hosted by Bev of My Reader's Block, which is a new blog to me so I'm looking forward to getting to know her blog as well.

Here are the rules in Bev's own words:

*All books must have been written before 1960 and be from the mystery category.

*Some suggested authors include: Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, Dorothy L Sayers, Earl Derr Biggers, Georgette Heyer, Edmund Crispin, Cyril Hare, Ellery Queen, Elizabeth Daly, Cyril Hare, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ngaio Marsh, S. S. Van Dine, Philip MacDonald, Rex Stout, Phoebe Atwood Taylor, Josephine Bell, Josephine Tey, Frances & Richard Lockridge, Michael Innes and Stuart Palmer. (Please remember that some of these authors published after 1960 as well--so keep an eye on the original copyright date.)

*You are welcome to count these books towards any other challenges as well.

*Challenge runs from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011. Sign up any time between now and November 30, 2011.

*I would love to see reviews of your challenge books, but it is not necessary to participate. If you do not have a blog, post to the comments what your challenge level will be and then post again when you have completed your challenge (include a list of books read).

*No matter what level you choose, please try at least two different vintage authors.

*The best part? A prize for everyone who completes their challenge. Once you declare your challenge level...you are locked in for that number of books. But you may change your list of books at any time. Let me know when you have met your challenge goal and I will send you a list of prizes (books) to choose from. Of course, the earlier you finish, the longer the list of books will be.

*Please post about the challenge on your blog (feel free to grab the image) with your declared challenge level.

*Please enter your name/blog name and the link to your challenge post in the linky below.

Challenge Levels:

In a Murderous Mood: 4-6 Books
Get a Clue: 7-9 Books
Hot on the Trail: 10-12 Books
Capture the Criminal: 13-15 Books
Take 'Em to Trial: 16+ Books

OR

The Golden Age Girls*: Read 5-7 books from female authors from the vintage years
Cherchez Le Homme: Read 5-7 books from male authors from the vintage years

Well I'm going for the Take 'Em to Trial level and I'll be interested in seeing how well I do with it.  I'm already thinking Agatha Christie, Erle Stanley Gardner, and Arthur Conan Doyle to start off with.  I'm going to be really interested in seeing what other author's I'm able to stumble across.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Good luck, Ryan!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing this one, too. It seems like fun.

Yvette said...

I'm in on this one as well, Ryan! Going to be a great challenge. (I'm only doing two.) I'm looking around for a non-fiction challenge as a possibility for me, but other than that. Challenge-wise I'm done.
(I can't stand the pressure otherwise!!)

Staci said...

You'll do great with this one!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

This one is right up your alley, Ryan. I think you WILL do well too. I will enjoy reading your reviews!

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to the Challenge, Ryan! Glad to have you on board. I'll look forward to seeing what books you choose and reading the reviews.

Just so you know, I've also got a Progress/Review post up where you can update me on books read and links to any reviews: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/01/vintage-mystery-progress-and-review.html,