Sunday, May 25, 2014

1 Song, 3 Ways

Sung correctly, "A Whiter Shade of Pale" is a hauntingly beautiful song.  Given the right voice, the right emotional depth, and the song can move you.  So here I am, showing you three versions of the song, and I want you to tell me which one you prefer.

The first is the original by Procol Harum, which they released in 1967.  Of the three versions, it's my least favorite.  The second is by Annie Lennox, who has to have one of the best voices of her generation.  She covered the song in 1995 on her Medusa album, which consisted of her covering songs by male artists.  By the way, this is my favorite version.  And the third is by Matt Belsante, an American big band singer who covered the song on his 2008 album, Blame it on my Youth.




5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm partial to the Procol Harum version - after all, it's a song from my youth.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

To be honest, I dislike the song immensely...that is, until I heard Annie Lennox sing it. I'm not a big fan of that type of 60s era music. However, I adore Annie...always have. I need to get Medusa. I didn't realize it was her covering songs by male singers. As a singer of songs mostly by male singers myself (at karaoke, etc.), I know I would enjoy that album.

Thanks for the heads up on Annie's version. :)

Angela's Anxious Life said...

The Procol Harum version is amazing... AMAZING. I remember as a teen blaring this in my room. I think I first heard it on the Dream a Little Dream of Me soundtrack. Which is amazing if you have never listened to it.

Lisa said...

Well, I did grow up with the Procol Harum version; heck, we slow danced to it at school dances. So I do love it. But I'd never heard that Annie Lennox version and, wow. Although the video is odd.

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

I never knew there were covers of it but duh, of course there would be because it is a fantastic song. I am loving both covers!