Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Sophia Petrillo


I must say that I'm feeling just a tad bit sad over the month of February coming to an end.  I have had so much fun revisiting one of my favorite groups of girls, that It's almost like having The Golden Girls go off the air once again.  I've really enjoyed hanging out with the girls again and I guess it's time to introduce the last of the quartet, Sophia Petrillo, the den mother of them all.


Born in Sicily, the home of a lot of my ancestors, Sophia eventually made her way to the United States, where she took on New York then Florida.  Through children, deaths, divorces, and business failures, Sophia kept a level head and pulled her and hers through it all.

When she was forced to move out of her nursing home and into the home that her daughter, Dorothy, shared with two other women, Sophia quickly fell into the role of mother and mouther to them all.  After listening to Sophia talk, you are able to understand where Dorothy got her mouth from.  Sophia had a caustic wit and lethal tongue, but even at her meanest, there was a deep and everlasting love behind it.  

She was a brilliant storyteller who never tired of telling about the old days in Sicily.  Whether is involved the business of making people sleep with the fishes, putting curses on her rivals, or her unending list of lovers (including Picasso), Sophia had either one of the most interesting your adult hoods or had an even better imagination.  

She was the glue the that held the house together.  Without her, I believe, the other three girls would have made more mistakes (especially in love) than they did with her around.  There wouldn't have been the sage, older woman to give advice and solace when it was most needed.  Sophia was the heart of the group, a heart that still beats every time she appears on the small screen.


7 comments:

Cecelia said...

No introduction necessary - this lady = awesome.

bermudaonion said...

I want to be Sophia when I get old. I used to laugh at her carrying her purse around the house.

Anonymous said...

I love Sophia's over-the-top fables! She was such a spitfire and original character. All of them were original in their way and made the show the hit that it was. They don't make shows like this anymore :(

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I never tire of anything Golden Girls. I have watched the episodes so many times, I have them memorized!
Love Sophia! Thanks for this Ryan!

Zia said...

She was my favorite character on this show. Loved her!

Alexia561 said...

Loved Sophia's passion for life! Think one of my favorite episodes was where we followed her around on a typical day that was anything but! Thanks for reminding me of these awesome ladies!

Simcha said...

This was a great show. It made me a lot less afraid about getting old, seeing how youthful these women still were.