Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Thundarr the Barbarian


The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is cast in ruin!

Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...

A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.

He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!
 
So goes the opening narration of one of my favorite cartoons growing up.  I can still remember laying on the floor of my grandparent's living room (which they had just had recarpeted) and watching this show as many times as I could get away with.  This was a vision of a post apocalyptic world, of course I didn't know that word back then, gone mad and I couldn't get enough of it.

Thundarr was a captive slave of a evil sorcerer king who was bent on domination of all those weaker than him.  With the aid of Ookla the Mok, who was a fellow captive he managed to escape the chains of bondage.  They were joined by the king's stepdaughter, Princess Ariel who was a sorceress in her own right and they traveled the ravaged world, helping the weak and destroying those who wished to dominate their wills on the general populace.  

Theirs was a hybrid world of science and magic.  Most of the evil tyrants they fought were sorceress who used science to amplify their powers.  Our heroes were committed to defeating these same tyrants and did so with a style all their own.  In a landscape that was totally alien but hauntingly familiar to our own, they battled evil and corruption everywhere they went.

3 comments:

Simcha said...

I think we had very different tastes in cartoons (I leaned more towards Care Bears and Jem and the Holograms). I never even heard of this one though it sounds like it would make a great book.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I missed this one growing up. I don't remember it. But it sounds like a mixture of He-man and Star Wars. :) Glad you enjoyed it. :)

teineseina said...

I watched hoping Thundarr and Ariel would get together. What? :)