Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Favorite Fictional Character --- Captain Jack Harkness


This weeks pick for my favorite fictional character is the magnificent Captain Jack Harkness from the BBC show Torchwood.

For those of you who are not familiar with the show, Torchwood is a spin off of Dr Who and takes place in Cardiff. Torchwood is a organization that deals with supernatural and alien mischief so that the rest of us can have a normal life. The job is dangerous and team members are habitually killed off. Thankfully not Captain Jack though.

What can you say about Captain Jack that isn't obvious from the picture. He's gorgeous, bisexual, dashing, witty, sarcastic, dangerous, and can't die. He literally can't die. He was blown into pieces in the third season and his body regenerated. Even he is not quite clear why he can't die, though you can tell at times that he wishes he could.

He is a pretty complicated character that has changed over three seasons. His real name isn't even Jack Harkness, that is still a secret he is keeping to himself. We do know that he is from the future and his family was killed by aliens when he was a boy. He won't hesitate to kill human or alien if they pose a threat and the whole time he will smile and utter a witty remark. Throughout the seasons he has become more human as far as his interactions with those around him. We've seen him care about his teammates, fall in love, and then lose everything. He is the Hero of myth made more human with a ton of flaws. He is Coyote and Loki made human.

For those who have never seen this show I strongly urge you to devour every episode and get caught up with the rest of us.

11 comments:

Alexia561 said...

I came to Torchwood late, but fell for Captain Jack almost immediately! What a great show! Another excellent choice!

Zia said...

This sounds like a great show. I'll have to check it out!

Heidenkind said...

I heart Capt. Jack and his sexy suspenders!

robsad79 said...

Love Captain Jack, Love him! :)

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Now you know I am in complete and utter agreement on this one! Oh, Jack...how I miss you =(

Shall we pray to the powers that be that we get more seasons of Torchwood?! I say yes, yes, yes!

Great, great post Ryan!!!

Zia said...

How many seasons of Torchwood is there?

Ryan said...

Glad to hear from other Captain Jack lovers....he is so all that.

Zia, There are 3 seasons so far and I've heard rumours a 4th will be happening.

Zia said...

Awesome thanks!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I have never seen this show. Everyone talks about it and how great it is. But I always seem to miss it. The schedule never seems to work out for me. I want to see this badly. I will have to look on hulu to see if they have it on there.

This seems like a great character to watch. With all he learns and grows as a "person". Great pick this week!

Anonymous said...

We don't get much TV. Maybe I should see about finding the series on DVD.

Beth (BBRB) said...

I love the Doctor and all, but Captain Jack is just so YUMMY! And his back story with Rose and the immortality just makes him that much better. Okay, and that he flirts with everything with a heartbeat is fabulous!

(sigh) :)