Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Billy


Once upon a time, during a lifetime long since passed, I used to look forward to Sundays for one particular reason.  I loved the comic section of the Sunday paper, loved it!  I would wait patiently for my turn, well if we had the paper on that particular day, so I could dive in and visit my friends that I haven't seen in at least a week.  There were certain strips that I loved more than others, some of which my mom would by book versions of for me to read.  But I read them all, even if it was one that I didn't love all that much, I would still read it, and normally found myself interested despite myself.  So the next four weeks are going to focus on some of my favorite characters to appear in the Sunday comic section, or the Funny Pages, depending on where you are from.


Up to bat first is my favorite 7 year old, Billy from Family Circus.  I would have done anything to trade in my real younger brother for Billy.  Where my brother was mopey, surly, and annoying to be around, I always thought that Billy would be a blast to hang out with.  He's not perfect, and he's constantly getting into trouble, but the kid has such an inspiring outlook on life.  He is willing to throw himself into almost any situation, he comes at the world with so much curiosity and wonder, and he has to have one of the best imagination in the world.  If Billy had been my little brother, I would have been nine to his seven, and I think that would have been so cool, though I'm sure we would have been in even more trouble than either of us got into on our own.

An aspiring artist, as is his father, Billy is never shy to share what his mind is thinking, and quite truthfully, it's one of the best things about this character.  He is open and expressive, and will take twenty minutes to go from the kitchen to his front door.  I'm just wishing I had that much energy now.


7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I thought I was the only person who likes Family Circus!

Teddyree said...

I loved Billy too, years ago (like 15 - 20 haha) we used to get the paper delivered and I thought Family Circus was a hoot!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Cute! I always liked PJ though. :D

Alexia561 said...

The Sunday comics are still my favorite part of the paper! :)

luanne said...

For me it was called the Funny Pages. Loved Family Circus and Beetle Bailey and many others.

Angela's Anxious Life said...

About 10 years ago now I dealt with severe depression. When I started to come out of it I had to find something positive to do everyday. I made sure to read the comics everyday during this time. It is amazing to see what a simple story can do. I can't wait to see the rest of the comic characters you pick.

carol said...

I used to read the comics to and liked Family Circus. It was always fun easy to understand.