Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Candyman


It's that time of the year again, the weather is getting cooler and the nights are getting longer.  Pretty soon it's going to be time for the ghosts and goblins to start running around so like last year, the month of October is going to be about my favorite scary characters.  So sit back and get ready to be introduced to some of the evilest characters to ever grace the screen.


Born Daniel Robitaille, the man who was destined to become the Candyman, was born to slaves on a plantation in New Orleans.  When he falls in love with the young white woman who's portrait he is commissioned to do, he has no clue what's about to befall him.  When it's discovered that his lover is pregnant, Daniel is hunted down by her father and a overly hostile mob.  When they catch up to him, they cut off his hand and insert a rusty hook into the stump.  They then coat him in honey from a beehive and allow the bees to swarm and sting him to death.  Now if this was the end of the story, you would be left feeling horrified by the events that transpired and Daniel would become a victim to the racism of the time.  Luckily for us, it's not the end of Daniel.

Candyman had become an urban legend in the city of New Orleans akin to that of Bloody Mary.  If you look into a mirror and say Candyman five times, he is returned to our world where he proceeds to wreck carnage on the life of the one that summons him.  Throughout the 3 movies he terrorizes in, he seems to go after people that are descended from him and his lover. He saves their deaths for last and instead kills those closet to them, framing them for the murders. 

He is a vindictive, angry killer that does so purely for the pleasure it brings him.  He wants to sustain his legend, his myth.  He wants to be the boogieman that parents threaten their children with.  His sole desire is to be immortal through peoples fear and blood. 

So my challenge to you is, stand in a dark room in front of a mirror and say Candyman 5 times.  He probably won't come and get you, but you never know.

4 comments:

Loni said...

I'll never forget Candyman. It was the first horror movie my parents let me watch... and I don't know if that was a good idea.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

This was a great scary movie back in it's day. It's another one that I remember seeing when I worked at the movie theater in my hometown. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I know it would be just as good now as it was then. The sequels...not so much!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

DO NOT say his name. DO NOT say his name. I freaked myself out as a child, telling myself not to say his name 5 times. oh dear, it's all coming back......

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

You are so good at these season picks. Now I have to admit I have never seen candyman. :) I went through a scary movie phase when I was younger but I was never really a true horror person. :) Great pick!