Friday, August 22, 2014

A Taste of Love by Andrew Grey


Synopsis From Publisher:

The lunch rush at Darryl Hansen's restaurant, Cafe Belgie, is getting to be too much for one man to handle, and Billy Weaver is a young man in search of a job -- any job -- to support his family.  Billy gains Darryl's respect with his earnest nature and willingness to work hard, but Billy's admiring looks resurrect pain and shame from Darryl's past.  Until Darryl stumbles across Billy's secret, Billy is suffering in silence: his father died a few months earlier, leaving him struggling to raise his twin five-year-old brothers.  Darryl takes Billy and the boys to the restaurant, where they'll stand together to face the smorgasbord of troubles in their future; while Davey, Donnie, and Billy worm their way into Darryl's heart.

Since I first bought this book, I've now read it a few times.  I've actually read the entire series a few times by now, and I'm sure I will again at some point in time.  I'm not really sure what has gotten into me this last year, but I can't get enough romance.  I guess since I'm not getting it in real life, I'm having to find it on my NOOK.  Actually, that is a rather flippant response to my overall, apparent addiction to m/m romance lately.  And at this point in time, I do think it's safe to call it an addiction.

I'm not even going to clue you into how much I've spent on ebooks since I first got my NOOK, but even knowing my own spending habits, I'm a little in shock at the overall price tag. When all you have to do is push an on screen button, it's a little hard to stop yourself.  So I've made myself a promise, I'll only buy one book, every other week.  I'm hoping I can keep myself to that, but even if I have an occasional slip, at least I know I'll probably enjoy what I'm reading.

Almost without exception, I have enjoyed every book I've read from Andrew Grey.  I think of all the author's in this field, he is my favorite out of all of them, and there are some really good ones out there.  He is able to create realistic characters, who even though they all have perfect bodies, come across as authentic.  At least as authentic as romance characters can be.  Darryl and Billy don't deviate from that at all.  Even when they are facing challenges normally not seen outside a soap opera, they respond in ways that feel organic, and truthful to who they are as characters.

More importantly than that, I believe them as a couple.  As individuals, I love them both, but as a couple, I adore them.  Despite all the differences between the two of them, and there are several, they fit together.  Honestly, I'm not sure I could see them with any other character, in all the romance books I've read so far.  I just wish finding the perfect guy, was as easy in real life.

4 comments:

carol said...

Sounds like a good one - and I have been drawn to restaurant settings lately.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I love it when you find a genre you just cannot pass up! I am going to have to check out this author. You had me at authentic romance!

Heidenkind said...

Don't we all wish that!

Teddyree said...

read slow ... those self imposed limits on romance purchases can be a real downer lol