Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Paddington Bear


A rather brief conversation on Twitter, which I'm not even able to tell you how it started, gave me the idea for June's Favorite Fictional Characters.  We started talking about fictional bears and which where our favorites, so I figured I would share 5 of mine during this month.


How can you not think of Paddington Bear and smile?  I dare you to try....go ahead think of him and frown....I don't think you can do it.  If you did manage it, you had to have tried really, really hard.  How can you not love a bear who can never gets enough of marmalade.  It makes way more sense than Pooh's obsession with honey, marmalade is just better.  Then there is his adorable wardrobe choice.  No bear looked  more stylish than Paddington in his blue raincoat and red hat.  Such a handsome bear he is.

Paddington, who was born in Peru was sent to London all by himself when he was just a young man, was born Pastuso.  When he was found by the Brown family, sitting on his suitcase in the middle of Paddington station, he told them his name was too hard to say.  They took the young bear in and named him Paddington in honor of where they found him.  Paddington, being the inquisitive bear that he is, quickly found himself getting into situations beyond his control.  Oftentimes he would end up lost, but he sure enjoyed the journey.  

My favorite thing about Paddington though is when he gets annoyed.  Normally he is a very polite young man.  He always uses titles and rarely ever calls anyone by their first name.  When he gets annoyed though he loves to give a nice hard stare, a stare to end all stares.  Paddington has made men fall to their knees and give into whatever it was Paddington wanted to begin with.  I got to love a guy who gets what he wants, and gets it with such attitude.

By the way, Paddington has moved up in the world and has his own facebook page.  So I would beseech everyone who is interested to friend him.  I'm sure he won't mind.

8 comments:

Simcha said...

I love Paddington Bear. I just introduced my kids to the book and they are loving it just as much as I used to.

bermudaonion said...

I loved Paddington Bear as a kid and don't know if my son ever experienced him.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about Paddington. Great choice to feature.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I loved the books when I was a kid. I don't even think my boys know who Paddington is. Nope...I just asked them and no! Shocking! I believe I may have to check some books out at the library for them. Great character theme this month. How about favorite cat characters next month? LOL! You know I'm biased. =O)

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Oh Paddington, I adore you!

I actually have a stuffed Paddington Bear that was meant for my toddlers that somehow has never left my bedside -grin- you're never too old for Paddington!!

Oregon Kimm said...

I spent quite a bit of time at Paddington Station when I was in London. They've got lots of Paddington bears for sale all over! He is so cute!!

Unknown said...

I can't remember which children's show had Paddington Bear cartoon vignettes, but I remember stopping dead in my tracks when he popped up on the screen. Loved that bear when I was a little boy.

Cool post.

Ceri said...

Oh, Paddington Bear. <3 You've got to love the cute little guy who was found on the station. Adorable. I've got a Paddington Bear in my room bought from Paddington Station. <3