Monday, June 3, 2013

Nailed by the Heart by Simon Clark


Synopsis From Back Cover:

The Stainforth family - Chris, Ruth and their young son, David - moved into the ancient seafort in a nice little coastal town to begin a new life, to start fresh.  At the time it seemed like the perfect place to do it, so quiet, so secluded.  But they had no way of knowing that they'd moved into what was once a sacred sit of an old religion.  And that the old god is not dead - only waiting.

I'm not sure if you guys remember, but twice now I've mentioned the three horror novels I picked up from The Dollar Tree in April.  I have already don't the review for the book I hated, Darkness, Tell Us by Richard Laymon.  And I've even done the review for the book I loved, Dead Sea by Brian Keene.  Now it's time for the book that fell in the middle.  I didn't love it, didn't hate it, and really, I have no opinion of it.  So needless to say this review will be rather shorter than the previous two.

Basic idea of this book is pretty simple.  Family buys an old seafort located in a small coastal town, their dream is to turn it into a hotel.  Needless to say the village is a little odd, populated with some rather eccentric characters.   Things quickly start to get a little strange.  The son is sacrificing his favorite toys to the waves.  Massive plants are growing out of the walls and a chair seems to have sprouted new life.  The people in the town start to get stranger, and the misshapen dead are coming forth from the ocean floor.

Actually, I don't care enough to really even go into extensive detail with this one.  All you have to know is this, the townsfolk are trying to use the power of this returning god to fix all their problems, but they aren't alone in their desire.  A group of terrorists are amongst the group that have arisen from their watery graves, and they too want this power to come back to the land of the living.  The two groups face off, one group wins and the other side loses.  The end.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The plot sounds fairly modern but the cover looks very old fashioned. I think I'll skip the book.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love your last paragraph.... just summing it up! Hope all is going well for you Ryan!

I still have a book on my counter that I need to mail you! Good grief I am behind :)

carol said...

I'll pass on this one. Of course, horror's not usually my thing anyway.

Staci said...

Well, at least it was only a dollar, right?