Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Annette Funicello, 1942-2013


I'm too young to remember Annette Funicello when she was on the Mickey Mouse Club, though I have watched episodes of the show when she was on it.  When the Disney Channel first came into existence, it aired repeated episodes.  And while I enjoyed the show, it was her movies with Frankie Avalon that have stuck with me since I was but a wee lad.

For the most part, those movies are older than I am, but they were on TV all the time during my childhood.  And while they aren't great examples of cinematic fine art, they are a lot of fun to watch, and the music was always a joy to hear.  It's throughout those movies, that I first experienced the music style of that era, and it's a music style I love still today.

She lost her twenty-six year battle with multiple sclerosis earlier this week, and she will be missed and remembered for her music and the joy she brought to her audience.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

She was a class act right to the end.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Another terrible loss. She will be missed.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

She just seemed such a charming and likable human being. She will be missed.