Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Favorite Fictional Character --- Jessica Fletcher


I decided to go with one of my favorite TV detectives for this weeks Favorite Fictional Character. The brilliant and always classy Jessica Fletcher from the show Murder, She Wrote.

Jessica was a widow and former high school English teacher who took to writing mystery novels. Shorty there after, her life started to imitate the adventures she wrote about. For the most part she stayed in her fictional town of Cabot Cove but as the seasons progressed she found herself traveling more and more around the States and internationally. For some odd reason whether she stayed at home or travelled people always seemed to die around her.

Most of the dead were friends or acquaintances so she felt compelled to solve the case, especially when the police always seemed to be chasing the wrong leads. She never cared about the danger she found herself in, she only cared about finding out the truth. Sometimes that truth wasn't what she wanted it to be, as she sometimes had to put friends in jail. No matter what she never backed down and always proved to be smarter than the criminal.

I've loved this character so much that I have read quite a few of the over 30 books by Donald Bain that are based on her exploits. I keep telling myself to buy the DVDs of the show but I always get distracted by other purchases, so for now I stick to the reruns that occasionally air on cable.

9 comments:

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

I really enjoy this tv show and
watch it in reruns everynight.
It was nice to see a comment from
you about it.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Her show was a favorite in my household growing up. I've never read any of the books.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I loved that show! Seemed like it was a regular Sunday night staple.

Simcha said...

I remember this show because it was one of those that my mother watched regularly and therefore I had to avoid, on principal. Perhaps now that I'm a mature adult (hmm..I don't think I like how that sounds..) I'll give it a try.
No fictional character for me this week, I'm feeling too lazy to blog today.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Great pick this week! I love Jessica too...I didn't start watching the show until it was in reruns, but I have seen every episode. Jessica, and Angela Lansbury, are class acts.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Great Character this week! I love watching the shows. I use to watch them more growing up but still once in a while will catch one on tv. Even when I am with my dad he will put it on once in a while and we will sit and watch it together.

I am sorry I didn't get to do my FavFiC this week. I will be back to it next week. These holidays and we are doing some small redoing in the kitchen have taken my free time here lately.

Great pick!

bookmagic said...

I'm surprised it took you so long to do a post on her, I know how much you love her!

Becca said...

My parents always watched this show when I was young. I never realized all about her background on the show. I had it in my head she wrote about the cases after she solved them, not that she was a writer who solved crime. That's more interesting!

Staci said...

I grew up watching her!! Loved it and couldn't really appreciate it that much as a kid. I should revisit this series!